To: "" <>
Subject: birding-aus
From: Alwyn Hunt <>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:18:12 +1030
Hi to all birdos,
I've been rapt by a raptor.
This septuagenarian has not long since joined BA and has recently commenced Atlassing. Thoroughly enjoying the experience. On a recent (20/02/99) survey of Inman River estuary, Victor Harbor, SA., I was fortunate to see at close hand (15-20 metres) a raptor in the form of a Grey Goshawk White Morph plummet at incredible speed from height and disappear out of sight into reeds at the waters edge and emerge 20-25 seconds later with unidentified prey and retire to the crossarm of a nearby services pole (less than 10 metres away) to devour it over a period of about 5-6 minutes. Indelibly printed on my mind is the superb braking and steering exhibited by the bird over the last milliseconds of the dive, seemingly from about 4-5 metres above the reeds. Oh !... to have it on "slowmo" to replay !  The prey was concealed by the perch so I couldn't identify it but there was no feathers or fur discarded. The Goshawk was seemingly unfazed by my close presence and remained in spite of a strolling couple passing between me and the services pole and chatting loudly while observing.
Pizzey and Knight (p.130) shows SA at the very Westerly edge of the Goshawks' range and not even extending as far as the site where the sighting occurred. I don't recollect having seen one before.  Is it rare or common throughout the rest of the range shown in P&K ??

Regards to all,
Alwyn Hunt.
Victor Harbor, SA.