birding-aus

birding-aus Feral Parrots in Geelong

Subject: birding-aus Feral Parrots in Geelong
From: RUSSELL DEAN WOODFORD <>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 15:27:09 +1000 (EST)
birding-aus

This is mainly addressed to people around Geelong or others who know the
birdlife here.

A work colleague mentioned some "introduced parrots" that she sees near
her home (somewhere between Waurn Ponds and Grovedale, W to SW of Geelong,
Vic).  Apparently, a breeder released 7 or 8 "small African parrots"
several years ago - stories differ as to whether it was an accidental
release, or deliberately done, either by the breeder or by someone with
unpleasant intent.  Now, the birds number "about 200" which could be
anything from 20 to 1000 I suppose! My colleague is somewhat of a novice,
but is planning to video the birds and show me the tape so that I can
identify them (!!).  I might arm myself with a copy of Forshaw or
something, but if anyone knows about these birds I'd be grateful if you
let me know.  I'm sure the Dpt of Natural Resources & Environment would be
interested in such an apparently successful introduction.

I'll let you all know what the outcome is if I find out anything more.
Maybe I should do a video capture and put a photo on the Birding-Aus page?
I'll see how clear the video is first, and eliminate things like Little
Lorikeet (which is a possiblity based on her description!!).

Russell Woodford
          PH: 03 52 739237
MOB:  0419 395 100  FAX:  03 52 739371
Aural Online            http://www.shc.vic.edu.au/music/index.html
Birding-Aus Pages       http://www.deakin.edu.au/~russwood/

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)