birding-aus

Re: 2 hobbies a galah and a game of chasey

To: "Merrilyn Serong" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Re: 2 hobbies a galah and a game of chasey
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:38:38 +1100
This observation is a common one. There are many more very much like this. I
have seen much the same a few times and heard and read of others. Galahs
also do this with Collared Sparrowhawks and Brown Goshawks. Maybe they are
letting the raptor know that they have been noticed and cannot be taken
unawares. Interesting that the Peregrine Falcon is very fond of Galahs
(eating them). It would seem that the Galahs have no difficulty
distinguishing the two species. Although the hunting style is quite
different and the Peregrine is not so much a stealth hunter.