birding-aus

Re: Not a birding question

To: Jenny Bradford <>
Subject: Re: Not a birding question
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:05:38 +1100
Jenny Bradford wrote:

> This is a question about cane toads, and I am getting kind of
> desperate, so
> hope no one minds me posting it in the hope that some of you will also
> be
> knowledgeable about amphibians.
>
> Does anyone know whether cane toads can eat fish (native fish) and
> tadpoles??  In other words if a cane toad is sitting under the water,
> is it
> possible for it to swallow its prey???
>
> Many thanks
> Jenny B
  The Cane Toad could always come to shore, or stick its head out, for
the swallowing process. About 25 years ago, here in Melbourne, a
neighbour reported that his goldfish were disappearing - then one night
found a large green frog at the side of the pond with a 2" or 3"goldfish
in its mouth (Growling Grass Frog, at that time known as Green and
Golden Bell Frog, then common, now quite rare,alas).
   I believe I have read that Cane Toads eat other frog's tadpoles and
eggs, including while they are tadpoles themselves, and I see no reason
why they shouldnt also take fish and fish eggs.
   On a lighter note, we were once looking at tadpoles of different
species in a local pond, and an academic friend asked "What kind of frog
will this one be when he graduates?"
   Anthea Fleming in Melbourne