birding-aus

Re: Dollar Bird

Subject: Re: Dollar Bird
From: Julian Bielewicz <>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:15:37 +1000
At 17:04 9/01/1999 +1100,Philip wrote:

>It (the Dollarbird feeds on large insects (such
>as cicadas and beetles) caught in flight.

Yesterday afternoon, 1645 hours, Fay and I were at Nathan Road (our "local
patch") and observed in excess of 20 Dollarbirds "hawking" over Nathan Road
itself and beyond over the "wasteland" of grasses and smallish shrubs.
Dollarbird is never a particularly common or numerous species in the
Redcliffe area so seeing this many at one time was quite a pleasant surprise.

It completed a great afternoon of casual birding (no "twitching") as only
half an hour or so before this we'd been watching an Australian Hobby Falco
longipennis cavorting over the "ponds" at Nathan Road.  This is a rare
species for the area.  We stood fascinated as it made a long low swoop
across the water, climbed to clear the nearby trees, circled and came back
in for another swoop.  It then perched in a tree (two Crested Pigeon a
little above it appeared to be totally unconcerned by its presence) before
repeating the swooping strategy.

Julian

Julian Bielewicz
Past President