birding-aus

re. introduced birds

To: <>
Subject: re. introduced birds
From: "bette" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 22:29:22 +1100
I think that "Lorne" has totally missed the point in regard to his attitude
to introduced birds
I don't object to them because I am a "twitcher" or because I find them
dull or boring!
Native birds simply cannot compete with the more aggressive introduced
species such as the Common Myna etc.
Since European settlement we have managed to remove roughly 75% of the
original vegetation so it doesn't take much imagination to work out how
many birds we have lost.
On top of that they have to compete for a limited resource with the more
successful introduced species.
I do not share "Lorne's sentiments at all.!!!
And yes I would welcome the sight of Metallic Starling's nesting at my back
door; a little surprised perhaps as I live in Rye in southern Victoria.A
record for Peggy Mitchell perhaps?{collator of the unusual sightings for
the Bird Observers Club}
Congratulations to Lorne for his lifer{White winged Black Tern}
Does that make him a "twitcher"???
                      Bett Mitchell