birding-aus

RFI: NE Victoria, especially owls

Subject: RFI: NE Victoria, especially owls
From: Craig Robertson <>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 15:26:15 +1100
Dear Birdlovers,

I've been quiet on the list for a while but am at last within reach of a
camping trip that might yield something of interest. Mid-January with a
group to Porepunkah near the entrance to Mt Buffalo National Park.

I went there last year for the first time, and although we got a
satisfying list, did not even hear a single boobook. Admittedly I was
not on the mount itself after dark, but the surrounding country -
farmland and bush, seemed very quiet at night. The others, who have been
to this spot regularly for some years said this was normal. I find it
hard to believe. I note David Hollands study site for the barking owl
was at Chiltern in similar, probably drier, country to Porepunkah and
Myrtleford.

If anyone has any tips, especially on the nocturnal species, for this
area we would be most interested and appreciative.

A TIA and Merry Christmas to all.

Craig