birding-aus

Short-tailed Shearwaters (are they late this year?)

Subject: Short-tailed Shearwaters (are they late this year?)
From: "Tony PALLISER" <>
Date: 07 Dec 98 11:22:53 +1100
Further to the note put out by Chris Gladwin.

I noted on the weekend huge numbers (1000's) of Short-tailed Shearwaters
wheeling south at great speed on the 6th December from Boat Harbour.
Sydney NSW and in addition 34 dead birds and 1 live bird sitting on the
beach. (This section of the beach is less than 1 KM in length) how many
more dead birds must there be on along our beaches?

Are these birds late?  what time of year have the big numbers passed
through in the past?  if so any ideas on why they are late this year?
Are they all exhausted because they were delayed somewhere?

Regards
Tony Palliser
Ph wk..... 02-99001678 fx..... 02-99001669
Ph mb..... 0416 095875
Ph hm..... 02-94277563
email: wk:
http:www.zip.com.au/~palliser