birding-aus

More wee brown birrrds

Subject: More wee brown birrrds
From: Una Stephenson <>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 18:03:56 +1100
Saturday 21st: I thought "my" Large Billed Gerygones were probably actively
brooding when two days of heavy showers and deeply overcast skies interupted
my brief spells of watching.
This morning I arrived late to see a female Sunbird earnestly examining the
nest,looking into the entrance. Prospective new tenant or planning to carry
off nesting material? Some weeks ago a male Sunbird visited, but though
there are nest sites to spare on trailing vines and plant-hangers he was
sharply seen off by the resident Gerygones.  Mrs. Sunbird didn't get to look
for long; down flew two outraged Gerygones and saw her off.
Slightly later it is apparant that one Gerygone is very busy running a
shuttle service to and from the nest .... and my washing line when in use
crosses his preferred route .... no wonder I'm persona non grata! Usually he
is carrying something in. The other only emerges for serious business like
chasing Sunbirds, but  Mr. and Mrs. Sunbird are still prospecting, while
stubbornly refusing to see the rope I left out for them......
Enough; I'm supposed to be out leafletting for Saving East Trinity  .....
 Wednesday 25th: Much activity round the nest for days, to-ing and fro-ing
with billsful of grub .... the nest is CHIRPING! But today I come home to
find the nest appears to  be disintegrating below; the trailing bits have
fallen all over the verandah; I don't think it's within cat reach and the
wind hasn't been very strong: are Gerygones jerry-builders or what?? Can I
get Surrogate Parent Leave to stay home till they fly??

Una Stephenson.