birding-aus

Re: Rose carrying ScC & Melbourne birdos.

To: "Muir Environmental" <>
Subject: Re: Rose carrying ScC & Melbourne birdos.
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 12:26:12 +1100
Muir Environmental wrote about cockatoo carrying a rose:
I would have thought that Melbourne based students of ornithology could have
offered more.
I'll add just a little correction. This message board is accessed by a much
more dispersed range of people than Melbourne based. I am in Canberra but I
see contributions from all over. As to the Cockatoo question, I noticed it
but did not respond. It is very difficult to suggest any adaptive
significance to a one-off observation. Cockatoos are very inclined to bite
off all sorts of plant material and sometimes fly off carrying it. They do
this with my apples but are mainly interested in eating the seeds. Your
observation may be this or something along the lines that the bird just
wanted something to manipulate with its mouth.