birding-aus

RE: FW: Western Victorian Maluridae (fairy-wrens, emu-wren)

To: "'Ozbird Mail'" <>
Subject: RE: FW: Western Victorian Maluridae (fairy-wrens, emu-wren)
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:27:49 +1000
George Appleby wrote:

> All three
> species were not recorded together at a site.

Thanks.

>  Lawrie, did you record the different wren species in
> distinct habitats (out of the list that you noted) in
> Jilpanger Scrub) and did you record the three species on
> the same visit or one/two species over several visits?

The Superb Fairy-wren (SFW) and Variegated Fairy-wren (VFW) completely
overlap at Jilpanger (as elsewhere, eg. Little Desert, Bendigo, ..), but
only overlap with the Southern Emu-wren (SEW) in heathy woodland.  SFW and
VFW occur widely through claypan woodland and dune scrub, but not with SEWs
in those habitats.  I recorded the three species in one place at one time
near the Douglas tip, but have not recorded SEWs elsewhere in the Jilpanger
block or nearby.

> Other inland emu-wren occurrences that I know of in western
> Victoria  are in the Grampians, not far from Jilpanger, and
> at a reedy basalt stony-rise swamp west of Colac. Superb
> Fairy-wrens occur in these areas but Variegated Fairy-wrens
> don't as far as I know.

Jilpanger is a significant distance (50km+) across cereal crops and grazing
land from either the Grampians or Edenhope, so the Jilpanger SEWs are quite
isolated and are the most inland yet recorded in Victoria.  VFWs do not
occur south of the divide in Victoria (as was previously discussed quite
vigorously on this list!).

David Geering confirmed what I would have expected, that SFWs, 'coastal'
VFWs and SEWs co-occur in NSW.  I think the Jilpanger example is still the
first that includes 'inland' VFWs (the old Purple-backed Wren taxon).

Thanks to George Appleby and David Geering for responding.

Cheers, Lawrie