birding-aus

Re: Black Grasswren

Subject: Re: Black Grasswren
From: John Penhallurick <>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 12:17:23 +1100
Another place to see Black Grasswrens is either at the Caroline Ranges or
Bachsten Gorge.  These can be reached from Mt Elizabeth Station on the Gibb
River road.  Bachsten Gorge is a long 4 WD haul. But the Caroline Ranges are
only about an hour in, and I found a pair there without any difficulty.  The
track is barred by a locked gate, and you need to get the key from the
family at Mt Elizabeth.  I found them very friendly and helpful.

John Penhallurick

>Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:44:22 +0800
>From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
>Subject: Re: Black Grasswren
>
>At 13:27 16/11/98 +0000, Lorne asked:
>>Has anyone on line ever seen a Black Grasswren? It looks spectacular and
>>I'd love to see one. Can anyone enlighten me on their characteristics,
>>moods, habitat, emotions, sex appeal etc.?????
>
>I saw mine on a boat trip up the Sale River, and then a climb to the top of
>a spinifex boulder covered hill.  Sat down and watched a pair for fifteen
>minutes about 15 metres away.  Couldn't find them the next day.  They are a
>large grasswren.
>
>The recommended place to see them is at Surveyors Pool, or the Mitchell
>Falls in the Mitchell Plateau.  I haven't been there, but they are reported
>to be common.

>Frank O'Connor                  Argyle Diamonds
>8C Hardy Road                   PMB 11
>Nedlands  WA  6009              West Perth  WA  6872
>Phone   +61 8 9386 5694         +61 8 9167 1445
>ICQ 14655047                    Fax +61 8 9167 1438
>Email
>Birding WA http://www.iinet.net.au/~foconnor/

Associate Professor John M. Penhallurick<>
Canberra, Australia
Phone BH( 61 2) 6201 2346   AH (61 2) 62585428
FAX (61 2) 6258 0426
Snail Mail  Faculty of Communication
                University of Canberra,A.C.T.2601, AUSTRALIA
OR            PO Box 3469, BMDC, BELCONNEN, ACT 2617, AUSTRALIA

                "I'd rather be birding!"
                "Vivat,crescat,floreat Ornithologia"
Hartert,Vog.pal.Fauna,p.2016.