birding-aus

Re: Ducks with warty skin

To: <>
Subject: Re: Ducks with warty skin
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:52:18 +1100
Thanks, or maybe not. That makes it even more confusing. If Mallard and
Muscovy Ducks hybridise and if they do so regularly and if the hybrids are
fertile, then inevitably they may reach a point (or already have in some
cases) at which it is unrealistic to draw a dividing line from field
observations. This is especially so as both species in Australia are derived
from domesticated stock that already varies widely in shape and colour.