birding-aus

Re: Ducks with warty skin

To: "Andrew Patrick" <>
Subject: Re: Ducks with warty skin
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 15:01:26 +1100
Andrew Patrick wrote:
"Farmyard ducks with red warty skin around the eyes. These are not Mallards
and I would like to know their name if you can help."
These ducks are Muscovy Ducks (Cairina moshata), originally from Central and
South America. I don't know why they don't appear in the field guides. Like
Mallards (and chickens) they have been domesticated, perhaps for centuries
and bred in many colour forms and shapes and may even be pure white in
plumage, as may mallards. Seen together one could mistake them for the same
species. The red warty face is distinctive and the beak is a different shape
from Mallards and their kin. What I don't know is whether the domesticated
Muscovy Duck hybridises with anything else.