birding-aus

Re: Differences between Leaden, Restless & Satin Flycatcher

To: "Nigel Sterpin" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Re: Differences between Leaden, Restless & Satin Flycatcher
From: David James <>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 17:08:17 +1000
At 16:37 12/11/98 +1100, Nigel Sterpin wrote:
>Apart from appearence what are the major behavioural differences between
>these three species?
>email:

A question like this can be pretty hard to answer simply unless you've
studied the issue in detail, which I have not. I'll have a blind stab at it
anyway

The most obvious poins to me are:

Migration: Satin is a long distance migrant berrding in SE migrating
through Qld to winter in PNG and various islands (but virtually disapears).
Leaden has a shorter migration not breeding as far south and not moving as
far north; in n. parts of the range the birds are sednetary or at least
present year round. Restless is the least migratory, it has some migratory
movements but not very conspicuous ones, perhaps they are a bit nomadic or
move habitats seasonally? theire is no doubt some timing differences in
migration and breeding etc. (Perhaps Restless can be an opportunistic
breeder??)

Habitat preferences: From wettest and tallest habitats to dryer and more
open: Satin, Leaden, Restless. Thus in some areas they can occur together
but over lots of their ranges they do not. habitat preferences are also
reflected in their ranges. Restless occurs futher west, satin further
south, etc.

If you are looking for some sort of niche partitioning factors I think the
above would be more important than exact insect catching techniques. If
you're after specific info on feeding behaviour or social organisation
types of behaviour or breeding behaviour some one else will have to help you.

Well thats my 2 cents worth.

I'd like to know more about calls too. Are you listening Dave Stewart?

David James
PO BOX 5225
Townsville Mail Centre 4810