birding-aus

RE: Twitchathon 98

To: "'Geering, David'" <>, "'Ozbird Mail'" <>
Subject: RE: Twitchathon 98
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 14:14:21 +1000
> I was under the impression, perhaps an incorrect one, that GCB was judged
> the Best Bird overall in VIctoria.  I can understand a particular team
> judging it as their best bird but has someone then sat down and decided
> that GCB was a "better" (or more difficult) bird to locate than another
> teams "Best Bird" be it Regent Honeyeater, Barking Owl or Willie Wagtail?

David

Simmer down!  You misunderstood me!!!  Each team nominates what it believes
to be its "Best Bird".  Someone then makes a choice from the nominations -
ONLY from the nominations (as many as there are teams) - and not from a list
of all birds recorded in the Twitchathon.  Such a list would be impossible
to compile in a rushed 30 minutes right at the end of the event anyhow.
.... and we didn't sit down either, we were standing in front of an
expectant crowd .......

> In respects my vested interest in having Regent Honeyeater judged "Best
> Bird", I'm not sure what I have to gain.  I'm certainly not going to
> accept
> responsibility for any species inclusion on the endangered species list.
> suppose my only selfish interest in the matter might be to raise the
> profile of the species in the hope that we can work out where the little
> sods go when they leave Chiltern.

And that would be fair enough too, but I was only teasing ......

> I raised the matter only because it seems an interesting choice to make,
> if
> one were being objective about it.  Mind you, I'm not sure that any
> Twitchathon team I've been involved in has been terribly objective.

That hits the nail on the head.  Try this for a combination of objectiveness
destroying circumstances:

*       Find you've won the Twitchathon for the fist time;
*       Whilst in a dazed & vulnerable state, get a list of 7 or 8 birds
thrust at you with the instruction "Choose the best of these";
*       Look around to realise that 30 or so people are waiting anxiously
for your announcement.

When we got "Best Bird" a few years back, we took it as an encouragement
award (like "Most Improved Player" in childhood sporting circles).  GCB got
it over RH this year - in 1997 Long-toed Stint got it over Barking Owl, etc.
It isn't a rational process ...... but it is part of the fun.

Cheers, Lawrie