birding-aus

RE: Twitchathon 98

Subject: RE: Twitchathon 98
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 13:04:52 +1000
Lawrie

I was under the impression, perhaps an incorrect one, that GCB was judged
the Best Bird overall in VIctoria.  I can understand a particular team
judging it as their best bird but has someone then sat down and decided
that GCB was a "better" (or more difficult) bird to locate than another
teams "Best Bird" be it Regent Honeyeater, Barking Owl or Willie Wagtail?

In respects my vested interest in having Regent Honeyeater judged "Best
Bird", I'm not sure what I have to gain.  I'm certainly not going to accept
responsibility for any species inclusion on the endangered species list.  I
suppose my only selfish interest in the matter might be to raise the
profile of the species in the hope that we can work out where the little
sods go when they leave Chiltern.

I raised the matter only because it seems an interesting choice to make, if
one were being objective about it.  Mind you, I'm not sure that any
Twitchathon team I've been involved in has been terribly objective.
Apologies to other Thickheads out there.

David Geering