birding-aus

various things

Subject: various things
From: (John Leonard)
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 08:47:18 +1100 (EST)
1. I' ve been back to the Tawny Frogmouth nest and it seems as though this
pair are doing what David James says, as least as regards which sex does the
sitting by day. On both days I have seen them it has been the male sitting
during the day, the female roosting nearby (based on size). Come to think of
it, I think with all the other TFs I've seen nesting (4 or 5) it was the
male sitting by day.

2. Face coloration?Klaus Uhlenhut told me that the Palm Cockatoo's facial
skin can not only change colour, but shape and size, according to the mood
of the bird. At Iron Range in July we saw only a few PCs, but I did notice
the way that the skin patch could change in size and shape, very quickly too.

3. As to mobbing, I've watched a Willie Wagtail harrassing a Magpie for
minutes on end, keeping very close to the Magpie, and pecking at it at
times, but always remaining just out of reach of the Magpie's beak!

John Leonard

John Leonard (Dr),
PO Box 243,
Woden, ACT 2606,
Australia

"The world is currently experiencing technical problems.
Please do not adjust your brains."

http://www.spirit.net.au/~jleonard