birding-aus

Orange-bellied Parrot (Urgent I think)

To: Birding-Aus <>,
Subject: Orange-bellied Parrot (Urgent I think)
From: Eric Hocking <>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:14:43 +1000
Found this on the rec.birds newsgroup

I think I have required an Orange-bellied Parrot. There are only 200
left in the world.
I have been looking through the Rosella Parakeet information.
Is there anyone who is an expert on this who can help me out before the
media storms my doorstep for a rare bird story?
Thanks,

and replied with

kkirk wrote:
> I think I have required an Orange-bellied Parrot.

Are you talking about Orange-bellied Parrot (Neophema chrysogaster)?  If so,
where abouts are you, how did you come by it and where did it come from?

> There are only 200 left in the world.

Probably less.  It is an endangered bird.  Try
http://www.biodiversity.environment.gov.au/plants/threaten/information/species/animals/birds/orange_bellied_parrot/obpinfo.htm
for more information and following the link to the Action Guide, it is
suggested that you contact one or all of these organisations:

Healesville Sanctuary
Badger Creek Road
Healesville, 3777

?Friends of the Orange bellied Parrot
?Birds Australia Group home page http://avoca.vicnet.net.au/~birdsaus/
415 Riversdale Road, East Hawthorn Vic. 3122
email

?Marine Education Society of Australasia
C/- 10 Parliament Place, East Melbourne Vic 3002 ph 03 96504846; Fax 03
96546843

I'd try emailing the RAOU (Royal Australasian Ornithological Union) first.

> I have been looking through the Rosella Parakeet information.
> Is there anyone who is an expert on this who can help me out before the
> media storms my doorstep for a rare bird story?

Try a near extinct bird story.  My thoughts would be to contact one or all
of the above and try to get the bird to either a conservation/preservation
society who can get it back into the wild or find a captive breeding colony
to donate it to.

> Thanks,

Hope you do the right thing.