birding-aus

Re: re. seawatch Maroubra

To: "David Geering"<>
Subject: Re: re. seawatch Maroubra
From: Rod Gardner <>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 09:27:14 +1000
David,

Sorry about my misleading, lazy shorthand - I meant nothing more than that
they (ie. over 90% of the Short-tailed Shearwaters and all the Australasian
Gannets) were flying purposefully in a northward direction - though I have
to say it didn't look like a foraging flight. I suspect this had something
to do with the prevailing weather - cool, light rain, southeasterly winds.
There is the term 'reverse migration' that I've come across. From memory I
think it means this kind of phenomenon, but I've got nothing to hand to
check this. Maybe someone else?

Some people no doubt picked up on a misidentification in the list I sent
in. After checking HANZAB, it turns out the 'patchy' White-fronted Tern was
in fact a juvenile Common Tern - with extremely worn secondary coverts, and
only a faint bar on the secondary tips. I can only plead confusion due to
the complexity of 'Commic Tern' moults.

Rod