birding-aus

Second Note - Julatten Trees

To: "" <>
Subject: Second Note - Julatten Trees
From: Lloyd Nielsen <>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 13:32:36 -0700
Since I posted the message a short time ago regarding the danger to the Julatten trees, I have had a call from one of our local members in the Queensland Government who is on side.  She has talked with the Minister/ his office but he is reluctant to intervene if the trees are just going to be lopped, rather than felled.  She is going back to him to ask that he persuade the Council that the lopping be delayed until after the breeding season.  My feeling is that nothing short of legal action will persuade this council.

The point that is being missed is that this is just not another patch of trees, but that it is one of the most important remnant patches in north Queensland on public land with its high concentration of breeding birds and the quality of species.  This is a point which should be emphasised when lobbying the Minister.

Many thanks from all of us up here,

Lloyd Nielsen

I have been trying to fax the Minister's office today (Sunday) on the fax number provided (which IS his fax number) but keep getting a message 'number is invalid'.  Maybe his fax is turned off????