birding-aus

Re: Rainbow Lorikeets continuing to spread

Subject: Re: Rainbow Lorikeets continuing to spread
From: "Alex J. Saar" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 08:09:33 +0800
>In <>, on 10/01/98
>   at 07:04 AM, "Alex J. Saar" <> said:
>
>>In WA, Rainbow Lorikeets were first recorded as an "invasion" early in
>>1968
>
>[snip]
>
>>When I first saw them, I too thought of them as a welcome addition. Now I
>>think of them as any other feral....
>

>G'day Alex (and others)
>
>I'm unclear why you regard them as on a par with the other ferals?
>
>Please explain?

Hmmmm. Let me think again.
* not naturally here (pre-1968).
* only here because of eucalyptus plantings by man, namely, lemon-scented
gum, which is not indigenous in WA.
* have "taken over" (dominant visible bird; dominant audible bird; dominant
numerical bird) from the indigenous birds.
* probably (must be) occupying nesting hollows to the exclusion of
indigenous birds (red-capped parrot, western rosella, purple-crowned
lorikeet, etc.)

Cheers
Alex