birding-aus

Jabiluka Petition

To: <>
Subject: Jabiluka Petition
From: "Marshal John Douglas" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 00:24:37 +1000
The recent and captious communication from Niels Paul Dreyer dismissing the concerns of those who seek to agitate the Federal Parliament and Executive government about the mining of uranium at Jabiluka is misguided.

His perception that the issue is of low priority ought not to derogate from the efforts of those who think otherwise.

The premise upon which his message is based, and the trap into which he falls, is that "lesser" evils are ok.  That logic is perverse.  No environmental evil should be tolerated.

In any event, my understanding is that technology is not yet available to quarantine the waste produced from this energy source from us  Humanity will have to endure this waste for tens of thousands of years.

Until the necessary technology is developed to ensure that we can be protected from the waste produced from uranium, this energy source should not be exploited.  Two wrongs don't make a right- just because some perceive this energy source as less dangerous than fossil fuels ( which proposition is not free from controversy), doesn't mean that is safe.

It seems to me that it would be better that resources are diverted to the development of renewable energy sources rather than to something that could pose a peril for thousands of years to come.

I would suggest that the issue of mining uranium within the vicinity of the World Heritage Kakadu National Park ought to ranked with similar priority to those other environmental concerns listed in Niels Dreyer's communication.  It is narrow-minded and wrong to dismiss this issue as "politically sexy".  Those who are minded to agitate government and business about the issue ought not to be detracted from doing so by the unenlightened and despiteous diatribe of Niels Dreyer.

M. Douglas,
Killcare.