birding-aus

Jabiluka

Subject: Jabiluka
From: David Siems <>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 98 09:10:18 +1000
 Hi Neils and Ausbirders,
       After reading Neils comments on the mine and conservation, is this
what is coming anyway.
       If a state government said they were planning to build nuclear power
stations, it would create political problems.
       So you sell the power stations to private enterprise on the basis of
more efficiency and paying off state debt for the benefit of the people.
       Then when the private companies say ,"We are going to build nuclear
power stations to lower green house emissions and create jobs", the politian
can use the standard comment, "It is up to private enterprise as they own
the stations and there is nothing we can do."
       Indonesia is planning four nuclear power stations and Australia is
opening more than just Jabiluka. So who is going to use the extra "Yellow Cake"?
       My birding question for the probable above, could a netter who may
have the knowledge inform us if any research has been carried on any effect
on birds living near nuclear power stations, as birds are usually the first
indicators of problems, bearing in mind nuclear power stations have been in
use in some countries for many years? If there has been research, are the
findings available to the public?

All the Best
David Siems
Sydney, Australia