birding-aus

Thanks for Common Names

Subject: Thanks for Common Names
From: (Syd Curtis)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 07:49:36 +1000
May I say thanks to all contributors for the entertaining and informative
discussion on names.  Is it only a week since I feared it was dying out and
tried to stir a bit!  To clear my mailbox without losing the possibility of
checking back, I moved all 'common names' messages (or I hope I got them
all) into an MS Word file - it's now 13,613 words long, though that
includes addresses, etc.

Well done!  (And we're probably not finished yet, either.)

Syd Curtis at Hawthorne

PS.   My favourite 'personal' common name: "Half-robin"  My mother, Hilda
Geissmann, went to Tamborine Mt. as an eight-year old in 1898.  No
bird-books.  No-one to teach her.  So she had to invent names for the birds
that became her friends.  The Yellow Robin was obviously that, but the
Pale-yellow Robin was clearly different.  It was only half as yellow so it
became (and remains for me) the "Half-robin".

S.

H Syd Curtis