birding-aus

RE: JULATTEN BIRDS TO DIE????????????

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: RE: JULATTEN BIRDS TO DIE????????????
From: "Osborn, Paul PR" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 16:25:44 +1000
> Further to Chris Dahlberg's important message of yesterday, I'd urge
> other birders to e-mail Mareeba Shire Council re. their decision to
> fell
> trees seen as a danger to the public, in Geraghty Park, next to
> Kingfisher Park, Julatten, FNQ.
>
> The council are meeting TONIGHT to decide the fate of the trees, which
> support roosting Lesser Sooty, Barking and Barn Owls. This is totally
> horrendous. STOP THEM CUTTING THE PRIME HABITAT DOWN!!!!!
>
> E-mail The Chief Executive Officer at Mareeba Shire Council with this
> address...
>

> Thanks,
>
> Lorne.
>
> PS - Chris... I don't mean to jump on your bandwagon or steal your
> thunder!

Well, I did as suggested and sent an e-mail yesterday. I had a phone
call from one of the councilors (a Mr. Wally Grey) today suggesting that
I was ill-informed. Apparently, they are planning on removing six trees
from a total of about 170 in the park. These six are near the road and
one of them recently dropped a branch 2 ft in diameter which fell across
the road and into the school bus parking area. Mr. Grey (Gray ?) said
that there are no birds nesting in the particular six trees earmarked
for destruction.

I have no direct knowledge of the situation there and post this in the
interests of fair play only. There is a public meeting in the Shire
tonight (Thursday) and it is to be hoped that a solution acceptable to
both sides, based on fact and reason,  can be ironed out at the meeting
and that the Lesser Sooty Owls stay there until I get a chance to get
back up that way and tick them!
Paul Osborn