birding-aus

SEAWATCH OFF NORAH HEAD - NSW CENTRAL COAST - 9th August 1998

To: "" <>
Subject: SEAWATCH OFF NORAH HEAD - NSW CENTRAL COAST - 9th August 1998
From: "Vella, Edwin" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 08:09:19 +1000
SEAWATCH OFF NORAH HEAD - NSW CENTRAL COAST

A wonderful day was had yesterday, by myself and John Bannon from England,
with sea watching from Norah Head, Toukley. Seas were very rough, probably
atleast 2 metre swells and with winds from south-east. The best bird
observed, was an adult Northern Royal Albatross (race sanfordi) seen very
close to shore and cleary showing a complete white body and tail, dark
upperwings with no traceable white areas and distinguishing black marks
between the carpal and tip of the underwing). Also present, were atleast 3
Wandering Albatross and the smaller, Black-browed (20 plus), Yellow-nosed (3
plus) and 10-15 Shy Albatross. There were also 3 or more Giant Petrels (one
was able to be identified as the Southern Giant Petrel), several Providence
and Great-winged Petrels (the Great-wings were clearly showing their
spectacular flight of high sweeping arcs enhanced by the very windy
conditions) , hundreds of Fluttering ,a few Huttons Shearwaters and
Australasian Gannets. 3 Sooty Oystercatchers were also on the rocks.

We also visited Rainforest remnants at Erina (along Malina Rd) were Regent
Bowebirds are easy to see at the moment, aswell as various Rainforest
Pigeons. A Grey Goshawk was also soaring fairly low at about canopy level
here.

A pair of Striped Honeyeaters, also quite easy to find, were in the
Casuarina Forest at South Tacoma.

I must also like to say that after the heavy rains we have had in the last
few days, hundreds of Little Black and Great Cormorants are taking advantage
of all the fish that have been disturbed along the Wyong River and nearby
areas around Tuggerah lakes.

A brief sea watch was latter had on the day at Long Reef, just north of
Sydney. Here were many Black-browed and Yellow-nosed Albatross, Shy
Albatross, Great-winged Petrels, a small rafts of Fluttering Shearwaters and
another Sooty Oystercatcher.

Another great day !

Edwin Vella

P.S. Would be very interested to hear what other  great Seabirds were about
this last few days off NSW (or any coast). Please email me direct as I am
not currently on Birding Aus.

Thanks.