birding-aus

RFI: Birding in eastern Australia

Subject: RFI: Birding in eastern Australia
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 12:56:26 EDT
Can any of you Aussie birders advise me?

This coming October I and two friends from the UK will be coming to Australia
for three weeks of birding. Can anyone suggest some probably productive spots
we should cover as we travel around? I have "The complete guide to finding the
Birds of Australia" by Richard and Sarah Thomas and "Where to find birds in
North East Queensland" by Jo Wieneke and my British friends have a variety of
trip notes. However, you do have to choose, and advice in doing so would be
helpful. Our schedule is as follows:
Sat Oct 3: arrive in Cairns
Oct 4 and 5, Cairns
Tues Oct 6 through Sat Oct 10 Kingfisher Park in Julatten
Sun Oct 11 drive to Mission Beach
Mon Oct 12 drive to Mackay
Tues Oct 13 drive to Gladstone
Wed Oct 14 through Sun Oct 18 O'Reilly's in Lamington NP
Mon Oct 19 drive to Coff's Harbour
Tues Oct 20 drive to Newcastle
Wed Oct 21 through Sat Oct 24 Sydney
Sun Oct 25 depart Australia

Obviously we will have lots of advice at Kingfisher Park and O'Reilly's. And
as I have done a camping trip (but not birding) from Cairns to Sydney (1993) I
have some idea about the distances we will be travelling on our driving days.
I know we will have to be selective about stopping en route, but figure we
would have time for anything really interesting or productive. We had hoped to
do a pelalgic out of Wollengong, but I gather that our travel schedule makes
that impossible. Any suggestions for a substitute? Or is it even worthwhile? I
am particularly interested in where to bird around Sydney as well as around
any of the places where we will overnight.

You can answer directly to me if you like. And thanks in advance.

Mary Landsman
Mail to: