birding-aus

re: wildlife harvesting

Subject: re: wildlife harvesting
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 11:31:48 +1000
A danger I see in wildlife harvesting which no-one has so far pointed out as
a far as I know is that an increased supply of wildlife will create a new
demand.

Before microwave ovens were invented no-one wanted one (obviously); before
they became relatively cheap then no-one much could  think about getting one.
HOWEVER when they did become cheap they then became a necessity, a human
right almost.

If a greater supply of Australian wildlife comes on the market it risks
creating an enormously greater demand, which will lead to an increase in
legal trapping and export (which, don't forget, involves great cruelty to the
animals involved and danger to the environment) AND increasing the illegal
trade in animals, as, as the common animals would now be available, then it
becomes more desirable to have the rarer species, and there is more demand
for these.

John Leonard