birding-aus

Re: Early nesting

Subject: Re: Early nesting
From: (J.D. & H.J. Duigan)
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 17:54:56 GMT+1000
Jo Wieneke wrote:

I was interested to learn that Chris Dahlberg has Brown-backed Honeyeaters
nesting earlier than usual at Daintree.  Perhaps its the very mild 'winter'
we've had that has caused the early nesting that is going on in Townsville
too.

I wouldn't say that it has necessarily been a mild winter here in the middle
of Bass Strait, but the Beautiful Firetails are back on the tele aerial with
bits of grass firmly held in their bills, making their plaintive, peeping
mating calls.  Obviously they feel that Spring is in the air.

Helen Duigan,
Emita,
Flinders Island.