birding-aus

Re:Currawong Chorale

To: "James Davis" <>
Subject: Re:Currawong Chorale
From: "Reg Clark" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 12:54:23 +1000

Hello James and All,

>From time to time but mainly in winter we are treated to a performance of
the StIives Currawong Concert. It takes place in a group of eucalypts and
angophoras near my house.

The rounds of calls appear to be initiated by one particularly unusual call
which is given in the clear at repeated intervals .

Each caller sticks to its own repeated sound(so it seems to me ) Some birds
make the familiar " currawong, currawong" , some a slightly different
version whilst others produce quite unfamiliar calls.

Whilst it is fascinating to my ear, not all the audience is so
appreciative, this is understandable given the sheer volume of
sound.produced by the choristers It seems to start with random calling by a
small group which attracts others who fly in to join the  chorusing .

In April of 1997,after about two hours of this the performers appeared to
lose interest and drifted off in twos and threes and small groups.
Most of them took a "follow-the-leader" course across a valley to the west,
with strays heading off in other directions.

My count of those crossing the valley was 143 currawongs.

Best wishes

Reg

Reg Clark
ii Carmen St.