birding-aus

Re: Introduced birds and Bulbuls

To: <>
Subject: Re: Introduced birds and Bulbuls
From: David James <>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 23:01:21 +1000
At 20:53 18/06/98 +1000, Peter S Lansley wrote:

>For what it's worth I reckon they're intermittently being introduced by
>misguided Sydneysiders in much the same manner as Common Myna was
>introduced to Canberra (or so the story goes)...then die out due to
>shortages of fruiting trees at certain times of the year.
>
>Anyone got any better ideas???

It seems that they like the tropics (pretty thick in Hawaii and Fiji I
think). Do you think its the lousy fruiting season (you can see over twnety
species of frugivore in NQ in a day) or just that disgusting Melbourne
weather keeping them down? The situation is confounded: is there a lack of
frugivores in Melbourne or are they just not seen because its too miserable
to go out looking for them?

David James
PO BOX 5225
Townsville Mail Centre 4810