birding-aus

Re: RFI - Kakadu Accommodations

To: Andrew Taylor <>
Subject: Re: RFI - Kakadu Accommodations
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 08:50:01 +1000
Thanks Andrew - I was wondering how you got access to Nourlangie when I was
confronted by a locked gate!  I suppose my response was pretty negative:
Kakadu was the place that triggered my interest in birds back in 1987 and
my 1995 trip to find endemics was fairly mixed.

I agree that the bush around Nourlangie was pretty productive and note that
you made the trip in May (?) I went in October hoping to bird shortly after
dawn when the birds were the most active and before the heat of the day;
the locked gate meant I was hanging around at a not very productive part of
the area; when it  opened I headed for the walking track circumventing the
art galleries. I probably managed 1.5 km only as it was getting too hot.  I
was amazed at the number of European tourists walking around without hats
and water canteens.

Obi Rock had no barriers and I walked the circuit there, later in the
afternoon.  Not as good birding as at Nourlangie.

Also an error: I mentioned 'East Alligator' in my last posting; I meant
'South Alligator'.

Cheers

Alex Appleman