birding-aus

Re: RFI - Kakadu Accommodations

To: scott connop <>
Subject: Re: RFI - Kakadu Accommodations
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 08:02:15 +1000
Hi Scott.

In your original message you mentioned motel type accommodation.  In the
northern section of the park you will find East Alligator (motel and
camping), which I stayed at back in 1987, before the park was 'civilised'
with a sealed road.

Further east at Jabiru there is a resort complex with motel units and a
back packer section where I stayed in October 1995. I don't recall it's
name, a fact I put down to the vegetation surrounding the units: the palms
and ferns from nurseries in North Queensland or Darwin just don't 'fit' in
Kakadu landscape of sweeping plains, wetlands and escarpments.

Further south is Cooinda, the motel closest to 'Yellow Waters' where an
early morning trip on the river is recommended.

You will need a hire car from Darwin to get around; there is a coach
service, tours etc, but they don't really suit a birder's need to stop and
look. Also, parts of the park are only open from 8.00 am (the Aboriginal
Rock Shelter at Nourlangie Rock being a prime example).  I found this
rather frustrating as the  Top End in October is in the wet season build up
and by 8.00 am the day is already  hot; however I managed to see the white
lined honeyeater and chestnut quilled rock pigeon in the vicinity of
Nourlangie, despite the constant chatter of tour groups and dust from coaches.

Whilst I wish Scott an enjoyable and successful trip, does anyone else
lament the changing of Kakadu from outback gem of the 1980's into an
environmental theme park of the 1990's?  Reply to me direct please, not to
the list.

Alex Appleman
Townsville