birding-aus

Trill call of Brown Weebill

Subject: Trill call of Brown Weebill
From: (Syd Curtis)
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 14:25:26 +1000
I seek help from birding-aus on behalf of Vicki Powys, good friend, fellow
lyrebird-addict and general all-round keen observer of birds, who lives in
Capertee Valley, favoured resort of Regent Honeyeaters, where sadly
Telstra's timed calls to link to the net, deny her direct access to
birding-aus.  I suggested that I place this query for her.

Vicki writes,

         "During summer and autumn of 1998, I observed that foraging flocks
of Brown Weebills (Smicrornis brevirostris) in Capertee Valley, NSW,
communicated using a distinctive trill lasting several seconds.  This trill
appears to be undescribed in the literature, e.g., field guides.  I intend
to submit a short paper to EMU to describe and illustrate my observations.
Has anyone else observed or described this Weebill trill?

Comments would be gratefully received and passed on to Vicki by snail-mail.

TIA

Syd Curtis at Hawthorne, Qld.

H Syd Curtis