birding-aus

Re: That Sydney Beach Stone-Curlew

To: "Birding-aus" <>, "Trevor Quested" <>
Subject: Re: That Sydney Beach Stone-Curlew
From: "John Clifton-Everest" <>
Date: 3 Jun 1998 17:13:05 U
                      RE>>That Sydney Beach Stone-Curlew           3/6/98

I duly reported the Stone-Curlew I saw at Easter to the NSW Bird-line, and it
subsequently appeared in Chris Gladwin's report to birding-aus in that week.  I
don't know if the local expert birder who saw it at Shoalhaven last year also
reported it here at that time, but certainly Chris Gladwin reported my sighting
in a way to suggest he knew the bird had been there previously.  Sadly I don't
recall the name of the local Nowra birder who told me of its previous visit,
but if he subscribes to birding-aus, he might identify himself.  We chatted
quite a bit about it when we met out on the mud.  He had good views of it at
Easter too, as did my partner, my two sons, and a another local birder who was
a beginner and very thrilled.
I wonder if during the unrecorded intervals the Stone-Curlew may have ventured
further south!
John Clifton-Everest
Dept of Germanic Studies
University of Sydney