birding-aus

Re: Australian Bird Calls

To: "Dylan Thomas O'Donnell" <>
Subject: Re: Australian Bird Calls
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 11:16:11 +1000 (EST)
On Wed, 27 May 1998, Dylan Thomas O'Donnell wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone knew of a web site from which I could hear sampled
> bird sounds/noises/calls. As always there are a LOT out there but not too
> many that are Australian recordings.

I'd be more than willing to set up and maintain a web site containing
contributed digitised calls of Australian bird species.  However, I
assume there are insufficient people able & willing to contribute their
recordings to such a site.

My impression is that there are few sound recordists and they are very
serious about it.  For example, David Stewart has told birding-aus that
he hopes to produce a set of CDs covering most Australian birds.

Maybe I'm wrong, if you would be willing to contribute recordings to such
a web site please e-mail me  not birding-aus.
Contribution would involve granting free use of your recordings for
non-commercial purposes.

Such a web site could still be very useful even when David Stewart
produces his CDs and (hopefully) the digitisation is fixed on the new
Simpson&Day CD-rom.

I actually already have tentative agreement for use of recordings
of calls of most of the frog species of NSW, Victoria and the NT on
the web.  I haven't been able to find time to digitise and segment the
recordings yet though.  One day I'll produce a web site for this.
There is already an impressive web site for frogs of the Brisbane area
http://www.star.brisnet.org.au/~gem/

Andrew Taylor