birding-aus

Re: mannikins

To: William Smithson <>
Subject: Re: mannikins
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 09:13:19 +1000
At 06:47 12/05/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi.  Does anyone have any current information on introduced Nutmeg
>Mannikins (Lonchura punctulata), especially breeding biology info?
>These birds, along with Orange Bishops (Euplectes franciscanus), are
>making headway in southern California, and I'm studying their habitat
>use and breeding success here.  Any information you might have regarding
>breeding of Nutmegs or their possible competition with Chestnut-
>breasted Mannikins would be much appreciated.
>    Thanks,  Scott Smithson

Dear Scott,
I've no info on breeding biology.  There was concern that the Nutmeg would
displace small native seedeaters but in south-east Queesnland, at least,
there is no indication of that.  The results of surveys in the 1970-80's
indicate that the Nutmeg, and the introduced European Goldfinch
were among the rarest small seedeaters and I don't think that the
situation has changed much since then.  The House Sparrow is another matter
altogether....

Ref:
Woodall, PF 1987. Sparrows and finches (Fam. Fringillidae, Passeridae &
Ploceidae) in the Brisbane region, 1972-83: relative numbers, distribution
and species interaction.  Sunbird 17(3): 37-51.

Cheers

Peter

Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Vet Pathology & Anatomy
School of Veterinary Science              Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072             WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)