birding-aus

Atlas project

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Atlas project
From: "Neville Schrader" <>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 20:29:39 +1000
With the completion of the meeting to discuss the upcoming Atlas project, it would be interesting to hear what the outcome was and what scale the project is going to be at.

 Obviously there is a fair bit of interest in the project and the discussion about the need for a "GPS" unit might be a little pre-mature as of yet. Having used a unit around this area I must say I was not overally impressed but that was some years ago and they may have improved since then, at least I hope so.

A point made about the cost of maps is reasonable for a long journey, with the cost of maps equal to that of a unit, if you were going across the Nullarbor, but just for around Parkes, I only need ten maps. An for NSW at 10" grids I only need one atlas that costs $20, so the cost is only relative to the atlas scale and really may not be a cause for debate.

I await with interest details of the atlas.

Neville Schrader