birding-aus

GPS

Subject: GPS
From: Graham and Gill Harrington <>
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 22:14:31 +1000
I think it is worth responding to Anne Green's comment publicly.  I attended
the Birds Australia Atlas Workshop and I can assure you that it was
specifically stated that GPS units were NOT required equipment.  The point
made is that the more precise the location for a bird record the more
valuable is that record.  GPS is the easiest way to get a precise fix.  You
can get just as useful a location using maps but it requires a lot more
effort especially if you are on the move through unfamiliar territory. Maps
too have a high cost if you are moving about and need a large number of
1:100,000 scale.  IT depends very much what sort of atlassing you are doing.
A long trip into the centre of Australia costs something like 50c a km
according to the motoring organisations.  This puts $300 for a GPS unit into
a different perspective. GPS units also greatly increase the safety of
people walking cross-country as they enable you to navigate back to your car.

Groups of birders can club together to purchase a unit and Birds Australia
may have some for hire.  The important thing is that everyone enjoys the
Atlas whatever their ability to travel or purchase equipment.  I hope this
helps.