birding-aus

Gammon Ranges

Subject: Gammon Ranges
From: Peter Pfeiffer <>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 08:57:05
 Hi,
      I have just spent a week or so in the Arkaroola area of the Gammon
Ranges and in the Northern Flinders Ranges of SA.   Fantastic.
  Being a part-time birder there were heaps of birds I did not identify but
some of the highlights  for me were :

        Zebra finch - always good to see in the bush rather than avairies.
        Brush Bronzewing
        Black Fronted Dotteral  - Chambers Gorge
        Brown Falcon on a small lizard from 2m away
        Diamond Dove
        Mallee Ringneck
        Black tailed Native Hen - a first for me
        Little Crow
        Black Faced Woodswallow
        Mistletoe bird
        Red Capped Robin
        White-winged wren - female
        White-browed Babbler
        Brown Songlark
        Mulga Parrot
 But the highlights of the trip were :

        - seeing 2 Wedgies circling above a mob of about 30 - 40
kangaroos as they seemed to herd them down a hillside waiting for          their
chance to pick one off. We watched for 10 - 15 mins or     more.

        - seeing 2  Yellow Footed Rock Wallabies at Echo Camp near
Arkaroola
and another in Warren Gorge just above Quorn.
             The YFRW's  in the Gammons were more brightly coloured than
  the
one in Warren Gorge.
 We are already planning our next trip as there is still so much to see and
do up there.

Peter.