birding-aus

Birds of Burma by Smythies

To: "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Birds of Burma by Smythies
From: Richard Thomas <>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:05:28 +0100
Hello All

I hope you don't mind me posting this, as it is basically an advert, but
I believe the following may be of interest to many people.

The Oriental Bird Club has generously been donated two signed copies of
the Birds of Burma by Bertram Smythies from his very own library. His
intention is that EVERY PENNY raised from their sale should be used for
a conservation project within the Oriental Region.

If anyone is interested in making a bid for either book, please drop me
an email or post it to our UK mailing address below. Any decision on the
fate of the books will need to be ratified at the next OBC Council
meeting. The date for this is June 27th.

If anyone making bids in anything other than UK Sterling could give me
the rough conversion to that currency it would help.

Alternatively if you wish to know more about the OBC, either drop me a
line or visit our WEB pages at the following URL:

http://www.orientalbirdclub.org/

Some further information on the books, as printed in the most recent OBC
Bulletin, is reproduced below.

Best wishes

Richard Thomas
Oriental Bird Club Bulletin Editor

Birds of Burma
Two copies of this pioneering work by Bertram Smythies remain in the
Club's possession and are available to the highest bidder. The author
has generously donated them to the OBC from his own library so we can
sell them to boost our Conservation Fund.

Copy 1 is a First Edition published by the American Baptist Mission
Press in Rangoon in 1940. It's in very good condition and inscribed by
the author to his parents. Only 2,000 copies were printed and many of
these were requisitioned by the Japanese when they invaded Burma in
1942. They were subsequently destroyed in an air raid on Japan.

Copy 2 is a Second Edition published by Oliver and Boyd in Edinburgh in
1953. This is in excellent condition and again inscribed to his parents
by the author. Bertram Smythies had to rewrite completely the book in
1948 following the loss of his first edition stock. Sealed bids in
envelopes marked Birds of Burma can be sent to the OBC address at the
Lodge beforehand. OBC Council has reserve prices for the books and bids
will be matched to these.

OBC Postal Address:

OBC c/o The Lodge, Sandy, Bedfordshire SG19 2DL, United Kingdom