birding-aus

Some ACT birds

To: Ian Fraser <>
Subject: Some ACT birds
From: John Penhallurick <>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 16:43:53 +1000
WHITE-HEADED PIGEON     24/4, suburban Waramanga [this borders on the silly!]

This is not necessarily so silly.  White-headed Pigeons have become quite
common on the South Coast in the last few years.

We were delighted on Sunday to have our garden visited by a female-plumaged
Superb Parrot.  Superb Parrots don't occur every year in our part of
Fraser(North Fraser), though they are bit more regular in West Fraser, which
is closer to the Murrumbidgee Valley.  This also settled a question I had
about the interspecies pecking order.  The following hierarchy applies when
parrots come in to our feeder: Sulphur-crested Cockatoos, Galahs, Crimson
Rosellas and Eastern Rosellas.  That is, lower ranked birds give way to
higher ranked species.  When Crimsons tried to push the Superb Parrot off
the perch, she resisted and stayed put.

John Penhallurick

Associate Professor John M. Penhallurick<>
Canberra, Australia
Phone BH( 61 2) 6201 2346   AH (61 2) 62585428
FAX (61 2) 6258 0426
Snail Mail  Faculty of Communication
                University of Canberra,A.C.T.2601, AUSTRALIA
OR            PO Box 3469, BMDC, BELCONNEN, ACT 2617, AUSTRALIA

                "I'd rather be birding!"
                "Vivat,crescat,floreat Ornithologia"
Hartert,Vog.pal.Fauna,p.2016.