birding-aus

Re: breeding Sunbirds, constant failures

Subject: Re: breeding Sunbirds, constant failures
From: "jon wren" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 19:18:41 PDT
Klaus
I've done some Nest Record Scheme reports on Sunbirds that are quite
interesting, but as yet I have not recorded a failure through death of
the young.
As you are in a cane growing area has there been any use of particular
chemicals, are the chicks hatching alive?
The female is the one that works the hardest and to have such a result
as you state over the last three years there must be a common
denominator in the failures.
I had a slight problem as they always seemed to nest in the laundry of
the next door neighbour, even though I placed hanging rope around our
house I could not tempt them to nest in our yard. Luckily I get on well
with the neighbours and they always allowed me daily access.
I did have two attempts at nesting in our yard but the nest fell on both
occasions due to the upper section of the nest becoming detached from
the hanging rope during particular windy days.
Hope this can assist you.
Jon Wren