birding-aus

Re: Maps - CD-ROM

To: "Neville Schrader" <>
Subject: Re: Maps - CD-ROM
From: (chris dahlberg)
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 13:42:58 +1000 (EST)
Dear Neville,
              I have been out of the mapmaking game for a while but the
following may be useful.The Australian Land Information Group (AUSLIG) is
the Commonwealth Government department responsible for mapping. All/some
detail that appears on maps is digitised, enabling special purpose maps to
be made. You require their services and you have a Commonwealth Govt grant?
The possibilities are literally endless.
cheers for now
Chris Dahlberg

>I haven't used any of the advertised cd-rom such as AUSLUG, but I noticed
in the last twelve months a few advertisements appearing in different
magazines for different types, I haven't really had much of an interest in
them because of price, until the atlas project surfaced. I guess there will
be more available as they are accepted by the market place.

>Birds Australia should once a block size been agree on approach one of the
major map makers and convince them of the need for a series of maps for our
(birders) use. During the last atlas my bible was the NSW road and rail
atlas but this is now out of print. Gregory has since put out a series on
4WD escapes which are great but have limited coverage.