birding-aus

Re: Atlas grid Size

To: Stephen Ambrose <>
Subject: Re: Atlas grid Size
From: Bob Howe <>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 15:04:37 +0930 (CST)
Stephen and other Aussie atlasers:

        The ENORMOUS advantage of smaller atlas grid sizes is that they
can easily be assigned within larger blocks, but of course the reverse is
not true.  I really think that atlasers should be encouraged to conduct
point counts or some other standard samples that can be connected to
specific places or habitat blocks.  With the growing availability of GIS
data on vegetation and other landscape features, such data would become
extremely useful for conservation planning and population studies.
        I realize that few atlasers will be using GPS units and point
samples aren't for everyone, but for those who are willing to put in the
extra effort, the results could be unprecedented in scale, and the all
of the data would fit into the more traditional atlas scheme.

                                        Bob Howe