birding-aus

Threatened species in Australia - 2

Subject: Threatened species in Australia - 2
From: "Martin O'Brien"<>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 14:53:10 +1000
            Further website for Threatened Species legislation

My offer to supply web site details for the various states and territories
in Australia has already been taken up by 20 people (as of 3 p.m.
Australian Standard Time!), including one from South Africa which has still
to develop any of its own I understand.  With so much interest I will
endeavour to keep the list posted for any developments in this regard.

For those wishing to keep tabs on the Australian situation, Environment
Australia, the Commonwealth Department responsible for biodiversity
conservation, has its own web site at the following address:

             http://www.anca.gov.au/plants/threaten/index.htm

This will give you access to various legislation, international agreements
and strategies as well as a host of other interesting information.  It also
gives lists of species and their conservation status for Australia
(Schedules to the Endangered Species Protection Act 1992).  It's also a bit
more colourful c.f. the legislation sites I have previously alluded to.

Cheers, Martin

Martin O'Brien
Executive Scientific Officer
Scientific Advisory Committee
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
4/250 Victoria Pde.,
East Melbourne,  3002
Australia

tel: +61 3 9412 4567