birding-aus

Re: German Parrot Breeders and Birdwatchers Visit.

To: Harry Clarke <>
Subject: Re: German Parrot Breeders and Birdwatchers Visit.
From: Kirrama Wildlife Tours <>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 08:27:33 +1000
Hi Harry and everyone,
As I had previously parrot breeders (Australian and German) on my tours I
feel I should answer to Harry's question and concern.
First of all most of the parrots, cockatoos and finches in captivity are
breed in captivity and not in the wild. It's a hobby (or a business), and
the laws are very tough in these days to import exotic animals and birds
into Germany. But we do know, don't we, that there are black sheep around!
The people I had from Germany were absolutely thrilled to see the
Australian Parrots, Cockatoos and Finches. They videoed the birds whenever
possible, took notes on their plumage and compared habitats to the ones
they try to create for their beloved pets.
Note: It's beyond me, how you can still enjoy your pet in a cage or aviary
after seeing it flying free in the wild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At least these people, who usually also enjoy looking at other birds, try
to see their favorite birds in their natural surrounding.
The pet trade is an enormous business in a country like Germany. Almost
everyone has a dog, a cat, an aquarium or a bird. I think it has to do with
not having enough space and nature around you, so you create your own
environment indoors to enjoy life more.
For example, I, as a teenager, had several aquariums, 5 Zebra Finches and 2
Green Dragons (Iguana iguana) from South America in my bedroom. It was
heated constantly to 28 degrees Celsius.
I was a member of the local aquarium club with weekly meetings and annual
shows, etc, and my home town was only small (17000 people).
Birds as pets and for breeding is something I don't agree with anymore, but
it's there and won't go away.
Their excuse for breeding is to say, that they preserve some species. I am
sure that the illegal trade does more damage than the breeders can do good.
The Australian breeder I had on tour (charter) photographed the nesting
Golden-shouldered Parrots, took details of a finished  nest  and was happy.
He actually writes books about breeding of parrots and wants to see them at
least once in the wild, preferably breeding, before it goes to print.
Thanks to people like him a pair of Golden-shouldered Parrots costs now
less than $ 1000.00, which destroys the market for bird smuggling. He did
mention though, that some parrot fanciers in the world always want the wild
stock!!!
To come back to the main question: should birding-aus support
breeders/birdwatchers? It's a tough question to answer. I feel okay guiding
these breeders/birdwatchers, as I can keep an eye on them, make them happy,
and it is my business. But I do hate it, when they call male and female
parrots and finches 'cocks and hens' !!!!!
Happy birding, Klaus

Kirrama Wildlife Tours   Klaus & Brenda Uhlenhut
PO Box 133   SILKWOOD  QLD   Australia
http://www.gspeak.com.au/kirrama