birding-aus

Re: Tail Feathers

To: Susan Myers <>
Subject: Re: Tail Feathers
From: James Davis <>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 07:26:17 +1000 (EST)
Susan:  I had similar thoughts about iridology, but I think Mauro's point
does not apply to iridology as a bogus medical profession.  The colour of
the eyes can apparently be a very powerful stimulus to other birds.  If
so, a change in hue, configuration or any imperfection may be meaningful.
When I first read Mauro's comment I could envision that there were
circumstances occuring - say during moult - that could negatively impact
of the deposition of pigments in the iris; could a small difference in the
amount of pigment be noitcable. In particular, I was thinking about red
eyes. If the red colour is due to the deposition of a carotenoid pigment -
I have no idea at this point - then I may have a case. Recall
that some birds lose their colour if their diet does not contain
sufficient amounts of cartenoid, e.g. House finches, probably
Crimson Chats and of course flamigos.

Hopefully, someone else can enlighten us further.

Cheers, Jim

Dr. Wm. James Davis
e-mail

Susan wrote