birding-aus

Re: Tail Feathers

To: "ozbird" <>, "Maurovic, Mauro (SAHC)" <>
Subject: Re: Tail Feathers
From: "Susan Myers" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 16:54:26 +1100

> The point that Jim makes about the female Zebra finch using the feathers
as
> a cue as to the males health is interesting.  I wonder if in fact spots
in
> the eyes are also used as a cue by either partner, just as iridologists
look
> into our eyes.
> I understand that iridology in fact originated when a person in the USA
was
> looking after an injured owl and noticed a distinct spot in one of the
owl's
> eyes.  When the owl was better and due for release he then noticed that
the
> spot had disappeared.  As a result, pigeon racers used the method to
assess
> their racing birds' health and it then moved on for human consumption.
Hi Mauro,
I don't want to be picky but you say you want serious discussion, then
bring up the topic of iridology, of all things! Iridology has been totally
discredited by the medical professions and has no basis in science. I doubt
whether it could or would be used by birds to choose mates. I'm probably
going to get into all sorts of trouble now, as I know that believers in
naturopathy, aromatherapy, moxibustion, etc. have strong views on the
subject (as I do) but please show me some proof! And show me its relevance
to bird behaviour - apart from the science of pigeon fancying.

Susan Myers
phone: +61 3 9819 2539
Email:Susan Myers